List | My camping kit

1 April 2015

I am aware this post doesn't concern all of you my dear readers, so skip it if you're not interested, I won't hold it against you. 

Today, many camping sites (that we call campings for short in French) open to start the season. I am quite excited as this summer, the boyfriend and I are heading to France for ten days of relaxation in a tent. I hear you laugh about that, but I do associate relaxing vacation with camping. My parents took us every summer, me and my sisters, on three-weeks long holidays either in France or Italy so I guess that's why I love camping so much. Even my parents' parents took their kids camping, so it might be some sort of tradition I will have to perpetuate with my offspring someday.

Last year, I made myself a "camping kit". My parents taught me very well as they are the perfect campers - meaning they're very organized and so well equipped, it looks like they bring their home with them every time. They even own a caravan (sort of mobile home but not a car, you attach it to your car and drive around before landing in any campsite of your liking). I think this is too much for me. I like the simplicity of it. I don't want to cook fancy meals and do heaps of washing up. I don't want to spend days of packing and unpacking before and after a trip, so I tried to keep my kit as minimal as I could.

I went to Decathlon, because it is the best shop to find affordable camping equipment (as well as lots of sport clothing/accessories) in Belgium and in France. You see everyone having the same tents and camping furniture everywhere you camp in France, it's quite funny.

Camping
I chose this tent that can house up to four people. I think it might too small for four adults spending 10 days holidaying but I think it's perfect for a couple (or a couple with young children) as one "room" can store all the clothes and equipment and we can sleep in the other one. I really wanted to have a space where we could sit/eat/read/relax when the weather is crap, so the middle part is excellent for that. I also bought a cheap two persons air mattress and we use our duvet/sheets and pillows from the house. No need for special sleeping bag.

I bought this table and two of those chairs to eat/play cards/write postcards. I only use a cheaper version of this cooker outside the tent, on the ground. I already set fire to grass if you want to know but it didn't become dangerous fortunately.

This awesome ice box is the perfect fridge but be careful not to buy too much stinking cheese otherwise, it can be a pain to open because of the smell (as with any fridge). The box is very useful in the car during road trips, anyone should have one even if they're not going camping.
I also got this lounging chair from Lafuma last weekend (for only 20€ and it's 75€ on the site!! Crazy!) for a perfect middle between sitting and laying on the floor. Air mattresses are not perfect to read books during the day.

I got four of each plastic plates, bowls and cups (for hot and cold beverages) at Hema because I love the bright colors. Apart from that, I take my own cutlery, tea towels, pans (one) and pots (two), kettle, knives, and cutting boards (two).

Here's my sister modeling for my post. Haha, no, it was taken last summer on the Côte d'Opale. Lots of rain, but awesome palourdes! (clams)

Camping Camping
Copyright © Ravacholle
Design by Fearne