SPELLING MISTAKES, MIND READERS AND JUSTIN TIMBERLAKE #LITTLE LOVES

16 March 2018


Another crazy week has gone by in a flash. It was full of work work work and just a little bit of play. I met my two BFFs (win!), went to see a show on stage, did a bit of yoga early Friday morning and ate vanilla ice cream for dessert quite a few times. I feel like I’m learning an enormous amount of stuff at work: things about myself, how to communicate better, the organization of a business and lifestyles I didn’t know existed outside my bubble. I now feel very protective of my little home, my cat, and my routines. I think it helps me put up with all the stress I’m confronted with. I’m happy and very fortunate to be challenged that much at work as I have so much to gain… I need to keep that in mind when I feel overwhelmed by how hard it actually is…
Grab your green juice and have fun reading all about my little loves of the week with your brekkie this morning!

READ

What did I read that was interesting this week? Of course, I must have read a thousand pages (no kidding!) of interesting literature about the legality of terms and conditions or about the unfairness of certain contract clauses…
I also made a quick visit to my favourite online magazine and was intrigued by this article: Other people aren’t mind readers (and neither are you). With all my communication problems at work and my recent breakthrough in therapy, it felt like the universe knew what I was worried about and kept sending me subliminal messages… or maybe not.

WATCHED

We went to see a fantastic show called La Convivialité with a couple of friends this week. I was not expecting it to be great but I  was pleasantly surprised by how good it was. Two teachers made a show about spelling mistakes in the French language. I don’t know if you are aware of this but French grammar and spelling are best known for being difficult to learn and absolutely packed with exceptions.
The Académie Française, sort of the institution in charge of preserving the French language and its spelling has been making up new rules recently and has a very strong and conservative opinion on the current spelling rules that raise many concerns and objections from the French-speaking populations in Belgium and in France. As the world is evolving, spelling is changing as well and the rules full of exceptions don’t seem relevant anymore.
The guys made me realize the major impact correct spelling had on us. Giving such an importance to correct spelling creates discrimination as we judge people we want to hire or are working with on the only basis of their ability to write without making spelling mistakes. I was a bit shocked and amused to learn that throughout history, the spelling of the French words changed a lot: many of the words we write today actually come from mistakes old monks made in the Middle Ages when they were copying down the Bible and whatnot!!
Finally, I had never thought of this but the teachers said that if we accorded less importance to learning how to have perfect spelling in primary school we could use that time normally spent on learning obscure rules about exceptions to do and learn other and more important things like music or acting/speaking in public.
It was such a good, interesting and super well-made show, I’m still in awe! I even bought their book and I’m happy I got to learn about a controversy I never really had much interest in.

HEARD

I am obsessed with Justin Timberlake’s Say Something. I’ve heard it a lot on the radio lately with Eminem’s River. I love both of those tunes way too much and as usual, I want to listen to them on repeat all the time!

WORE

I bought a new coat! It’s grey and makes me feel like spring is coming up soon!

AND LASTLY…

I’m so glad it’s the weekend. My plans are: reading in bed, watching tv, and studying for the exams I have coming up at the end of April. On Sunday, I’ll be attending my sister housewarming party. I’ll enjoy being at home because I feel like I’ve been away for some time (I slept at my parent’s last weekend)…
I hope you have a fantastic weekend, I’ll see you next week on the blog!
I’ve added this post to Morgana’s #LittleLoves linky she hosts on her blog Coffee Work Sleep Repeat.

Post a Comment

Leave a comment

Copyright © Ravacholle
Design by Fearne