MAY’S LITTLE LOVES

3 June 2018


It’s been a strange couple of months over here since my last Little Loves post. I was having a hard time at work and completely neglected myself as I was drowning in work. The worst is that I wasn’t even working properly and I was stuck in a very unhealthy routine. Eventually, at the beginning of May, I had a realization and as a result, I quit/was fired.
ice cream helsinki
The bf and I had planned to spend two weeks in Finland as we were going to attend a friend’s wedding (on the same day as Harry & Meghan’s). I wasn’t in the best mood to enjoy everything as I often dreamt and thought of my work problems but I still enormously enjoyed my time over there. The wedding was absolutely perfect – simple, beautiful and elegant – and we had the best time! We were also very lucky with the weather for this time of the year – so warm and sunny – and I was delighted to eat ice creams every other day! As my Aussie friend smartly mentioned, who could have thought we would see an ice cream melt in Finland?!
Morgana, over at Coffee, Work, Sleep, Repeat, has decided to host this linky once a month instead of on a weekly basis so I’m happily joining her again with my May’s Little Loves. Let’s get down to it, shall we?
rebecca, daphne du maurier, fazer, hot chocolate

READ

I read two books this month – it had been too long! That’s what you are supposed to do when you’re on holiday, right? I went with a classic and an old time favourite.
I was deep into Rebecca by Daphne Du Maurier. I had read it before, like 15 years ago!, but didn’t remember exactly how it ended. It’s the story of a young woman who marries a rich English man who has a dark and mysterious past: his first wife was found dead after a storm had unleashed its fury at sea. The new Mr. de Winter arrives at Manderley, where her husband and his first wife had lived happy years before the tragedy, and she soon becomes haunted by the ghost of the perfect Rebecca… It was such a thrilling book. I definitely recommend it! It’s well written and it was quite hard to put down.
The second book I read was Bridget Jones’ Diary by Helen Fielding. It’s one of my ultimate favourite books. I must have read it like 4 times already, along with the second book. It’s a bit old now and not everything about it is relevant anymore. I raised my eyebrows at a few things Bridget wrote in her diary but I still – and will forever – love how imperfect she is! No matter what embarrassing situations she finds herself in, she never loses hope and always find her way back to being content with herself, always trying to do her best and forgiving herself for her mistakes. Also the Colin Firth and Hugh Grant’s references are hilarious when you think about how the books were adapted for the big screen! Have you read one of them? What did you think?

WATCHED

I watched The Dressmaker while we were in Finland. I was so surprised at how funny it was. Kate Winslet is just so beautiful, I loved her to pieces in this movie! The plot is set in rural Australia, in a small town Kate Winslet comes back to after 20 years of absence. Beautiful dresses and some dark secrets are revealed as Tilly (Kate Winslet) tries to find out about her past…
On Netflix, we’re into The Crown right now. We also discovered an Australian show on there called The Letdown. It was so funny! It’s about a new mum who is having a hard time coping with her new baby and who feels totally unsupported by her husband and her parent’s group. Celeste Barber – you now the Instagram icon who makes fun of celebrities? – plays in it and she’s hilarious!
Of course, we’re also watching The Handmaid’s Tale every week -I looooove it!

HEARD

My friend saying I do on her wedding day. Well, it was all in Finnish so I’m not sure… I was all emotional as always, I love weddings! I also listened to my favourite Aussie friends speaking and I realized I had missed they beautiful accent…

MADE

The bf and I made a few trips to the lake after sauna. We experienced the magic of having a proper sauna in Finland and I never want to forget the feeling of dipping into the cold water after having sweat so much because of the high temperature. It’s THE BEST feeling!
wedding guests, wedding guests outfits, ados, uniqlo,

WORE

I wore a lovely skirt at the wedding we attended and a new pair of stylish heels. The shoes cost more than the whole outfit because I wanted to invest in a good pair that I could always wear again. As you don’t wear the same outfit at every wedding… I think it was super smart of me 😉

coffee, laptop, workingAND LASTLY…

I had to go back to work after my holiday to discuss what I was going to do now that my contract was terminated. I was afraid my boss was going to be mean again but I was actually pleasantly surprised as he acted very professional and everything ended out well for me: pay for the three-months notice period and no work to do any more for him. I really felt relieved because I absolutely was dreading going back there every day. Now, I’m all set to find another position. I’ve been job hunting since the day I was fired but haven’t had any luck so far. If I don’t find another internship before the end of July, I’ll have to look out for available paralegal positions. I’m still unsure about it all but as the future is so uncertain, but I’ve decided I would try to be unemotionally attached to the process of job hunting and then choose what makes me happy from all the things that will come my way! If I don’t feel it, then I won’t do it – it’s my new motto!
Happy June to everyone! I hope the weather is going to be warmer and sunnier…
I have added this post to Morgana’s #LittleLoves over on her blog Coffee, Work, Sleep, Repeat.

Post a Comment

Leave a comment

Copyright © Ravacholle
Design by Fearne