2016 A Year in Books

31 December 2016



If there's one goal I don't have a problem sticking with, it's reading! As I've done last year, here are the books I've read in 2016. I always like to know what novels others are reading so that's why I'm sharing my list. Also, it's a great way of keeping track of my "reading history".

2016 | A Year in Books



Harry Potter 4, 5, 6 & 7 by J.K. Rowling | HP are everyone's favourite books. I can't wait to have to kids to share those treasures with them. The stories are so comforting and always remind me of my teens when I was a very avid reader. I didn't have internet, I didn't have a phone, I spent my free time reading and watching Dawson's Creek.

The Shock of the Fall by Jonathan Filer | This one was a very interesting read. I found the book very moving. It won the Costa award 2013 so I'm not the only one who appreciated it! 

Revolutionary Road by Richard Yates | If you loved Mad Men, you should be interested in reading this novel. It was written in 1961 and describes the life of a suburban family. This novel was turned into a film with Kate Winslet and Leo which I loved at the time. I can't really remember the film but I really enjoyed reading the novel as it reminded me so much of the ambiance of Mad Men. It's basically a commentary on the life they lived back then which I find so fascinating. 

The Stranger and The Hidden Child by Camilla Läckberg | I adore the Patrick Hedström series and psychological thrillers in general. The Stranger wasn't as good as the other ones I thought but the Hidden Child was a great one. The Swedish Agatha Christie is my go-to because it's like watching Midsomer Murders: you know the main characters, want to know a bit about their lives but with a murder thrown in the mix to keep things spicy!

A Tiny Bit Marvelous by Dawn French | I really enjoyed this book which was about a little family drama. I wrote a little review on the blog, read it here>>

Terra Australis by Laurent-Frédéric Bollée | This is more of a graphic novel and it's about the beginnings of a penal colony in NSW, Australia. I had watched the BBC series last year (called Banished) and the book relates all of the same stories as the series. I knew the show was based on real events so I was not really surprised. 

Why not me? by Mindy Kaling | You know I read her first book so I had to give this one a go. I am ashamed to say that as of today, I can't remember a single thing about this book. I checked the back cover to remember what was in it. Bad, bad, bad me.

The Girl in the Spider's Web by David Lagerkrantz | I loved the Millenium trilogy and was excited to see what would have become of the protagonists. I quite liked this book, it's a bit different than the others (obviously) but the plot was interesting.

Wildflower by Drew Barrymore | This one I remember. I enjoyed Barrymore's memoirs even though I have to admit, it's the cover that  got me into it. I wrote a little review on the blog, read it here>> Since then, I watched a few of the early films she acted in and I discovered a few gems!

Revenge wears Prada by Lauren Weisberger | Very bad book. It was so boring, I can't even remember how it ended. Skip it.

Harry Potter and The Cursed Child by J.K. Rowling, Jack Thorne and John Tiffany | I was very excited by the thought of ordering my copy and reading it on the release date, just like I did when I was young with the HP novels. I liked the screenplay and enjoyed having a look at my favourite characters' adult life but I must say this won't be the story I will always remember. It was a bit too melancholic for me.

The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins | OMG. So so so good. I loved it and read it in three days I think. I could have been done in a day but I had other things to do. I loved it better than Gone Girl, I guess it's probably because I can relate to

Funny Girl by Nick Hornby | I didn't really thought this novel was funny. The Girl wasn't funny either. It was a bit boring and I wanted to skip pages badly. I loved the bits about the tv show but the book was more than that, unfortunately.

Letters to my Fanny by Cherry Healey | A nice little feminist read. Cherry Healey is a TV personality in the UK and wrote her little memoirs. I wrote about it in a post too, read it here>>

1984 by George Orwell | A revelation. I never read this classic but wow! Orwell predicted a lot.

The Wonderful Weekend Book by Elspeth Thompson | This book is not a novel and is about all to reclaim your weekends back. No more shopping or DIYing but enjoying the seasons and the pleasure of a good life. I picked it up in a charity shop and was delighted with it - probably because I didn't pay it full price...

Americanah by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie | I'm still currently reading this one and I love it so far. I'm slow but it's because I have so many other things going on. Also, it's pretty dense so I need to be focused when I read it. But so far, so good.

Did you read any of those books? What did you think? 


If you enjoyed this post, you might like: 2015 A Year in Books
Find my book reviews and what I'm reading at the moment on Goodreads.
Follow

Post a Comment

Leave a comment

Copyright © Ravacholle
Design by Fearne